Boys’ and Girls’ Soccer teams begin a promising season

Big weekend for both teams

Photos courtesy of Sue Dermott and Andrea Teichner

Boys’ and girls’ soccer line up for picture day

Oak Park Boys’ and Girls’ Soccer had an important stretch the weekend of Dec. 4, with a big rivalry game for the boys’ varsity team at home against Agoura High School and the girls’ varsity team at an overnight tournament at Newport Harbor High School. 

The boys’ soccer team played a competitive game against their rivals, drawing at 1-1. Sophomore Tyler Cash scored the lone goal for the Eagles, while senior Brandon Sosa of AHS beat goalkeeper Noah Teichner for Agoura’s only score.

“We knew this game was going to be a dogfight. They have a D1 prospect on their team and they always play us tough,” senior Aryan Patil said. 

In a low-scoring game, defense was key, with no goals allowed by either team in the second half. Seniors Brent Gelick, Ethan Streif and Edan Shakib played big roles on the defensive side of the field.

“It was a total team effort, I liked the way we competed and I feel that it is a real game to build on,” Teichner said.

The girls’ soccer team competed at the Bay Back Invite at Newport Harbor High School, playing three games total: against West Covina, Kennedy and Torrey Pines.

“We played really good teams this weekend. I’m proud of the way we played,” senior Grace Zeolla said. 

Oak Park Girls’ Soccer claimed two wins to start the tournament, winning 2-0 and 3-1 against West Covina and Kennedy, respectively. They tied against Torrey Pines to close out the tournament, 0-0. 

“We got better as a team this weekend,” senior Amanda Dermott said.