Oak Park High School September sports recap

Scores and results of all OPHS sporting events in September

Courtesy of William Struyk

Oak Park High School had another strong month of sports with competitions from Football, Girls’ Volleyball, Girls’ Golf, Girls’ Tennis, Boys’ Beach Volleyball and Cross Country. Here are all the results and scores from all of the OPHS fall sports. 

Football

Football managed to go 3-2 in the month of September with some key wins and losses along the way. The team managed to blow out Brentwood 37-0 and Nordhoff 59-6. In key league matchups versus Thousand Oaks and Moorpark, the team came up short losing 14-28 and 27-34 in those matches. Football managed to bounce back with a 27-0 win over Agoura on homecoming night. Football has three more games remaining against Camarillo, Newbury Park and Royal. It will be key for the team to win these games if they want to make the playoffs. 

Girls Volleyball

Girls’ Volleyball had a slight comeback this month going 3-9 in varsity competition. The team was able to pick up wins with 3-0 sweeps versus Foothill Tech, Moorpark and Fillmore. The team could not surmount Viewpoint, Agoura, St. Joseph, Granada Hills, Camarillo, Royal and Simi Valley. The team hopes to get some momentum in the month of October with many key league matchups. 

Girls Golf

Girls’ Golf, unfortunately, squandered their chances of an undefeated season this month with a close loss to Oaks Christian at Sherwood Country Club. The team managed to bounce back after that loss and win all of their remaining games in the month with key league wins versus Royal, Moorpark, Simi Valley, and Camarillo. League finals begin in October which means the team has to keep their momentum going to win league. 

Girls Tennis

Girls’ Tennis lost their unbeaten season in a game to nationally-ranked Westlake. However, despite this loss, the team managed to bounce back and win the rest of their games in September with wins over Oaks Christian 16-2, Calabasas 71-65, Foothill Tech 10-8, Newbury Park 12-6, Louisville 16-2, Royal 17-1, Simi Valley 13-5 and Moorpark 14-4. The team wants to continue its momentum into October when they will play the rest of their league matches. 

Boys Beach Volleyball

Oak Park Boys’ Beach Volleyball concluded a stellar season where the team went 11-3 overall and ended up winning the Marmonte League Championship. The team secured a 4-0 win to win the tournament. Most of the team crosses over to indoor volleyball in the spring so this successful season could be indicative of how Oak Park’s indoor volleyball team does in the upcoming season.

Cross Country

In September, the cross country team competed in three meets. The first meet was the Moorpark Invitational on Sept. 9 with freshman Kean Castaneda putting up a 16:48 three-mile time which was the best out of all of the freshmen in the meet. The team also had success in the 41st Annual Woodbridge Cross Country Classic. The team had their first league meet on Sept. 22 with the boys’ team coming in 3rd and the girls’ team coming in 1st with impressive 1st and 2nd place finishes from sophomores Katarina Modrzejewski and Tate Creason, respectively 

Going into October many of these teams will finish out league matchups and begin playoffs. It should be interesting to see how these teams fare in these final fall sports league matchups and CIF playoffs.