“Curing” boredom is embracing it

Understanding boredom’s role in our lives
“Curing” boredom is embracing it
Anika Ravilla

We are all victims of boredom and its everlasting presence in our lives. We experience it all the time and still never truly get used to its itch or the frustrating feelings that follow. It’s an uncomfortable and tiring state: a restless mind apathetic to all the options in front of it. 

Boredom can usually be attributed to two things: monotony and fatigue; or more accurately, fatigue as a result of monotony. As students, we are no strangers to these: long lectures, long classes and long nights where we scrape together energy from our long days to finish another assignment from our long lists of homework. And when the day is over, we start all over again.

In these seemingly endless cycles of work, it can be challenging to find the motivation to do anything. Even when we have the energy to work, we’re tired of the idea of working. So it’s no surprise that many students are bored: bored in school, in their homes and even during activities that are supposed to be exciting. What’s often chalked up to being lazy and having a lack of drive might just be a result of exhaustion. 

And though the stability of routines can be comforting, our brains still crave novelty. When we lack the anticipation of something exciting and our routines become too stagnant, we lose that drive and fall into the unforgiving hands of boredom.

So how do we wriggle from its grasp?

Usually, we turn to the convenience of the internet, searching through feeds and videos until they bore us as well. We are all guilty of those embarrassingly long scrolls where we can’t remember exactly where the hours went. 

Though this passive form of entertainment is certainly effective at occupying us, it’s also counterproductive and works to distract our minds but not benefit them. It masks the problem but does not fix it. By the end of the scroll, the mask is gone and boredom returns with a more demanding presence.

On rarer occasions, we may attempt to resolve our boredom through more productive means. Whether it be reading a book, sketching something or attempting a new skill, there are loads of satisfying ways to spend your time when everything else seems dull. The only issue with this solution is that it isn’t always suitable for the situation. New activities often require focus, energy and attention that you may not have. You won’t always have the means or motivation to push through engaging activities, especially if your boredom is a result of mental fatigue.

Despite how it seems, it’s important to understand that boredom isn’t the enemy and that if anything needs “curing,” it’s the mentality behind boredom. Like any other emotion, the way we handle boredom determines its effect on us. 

If we see it at face value, a disinterest in our surroundings, that is all it will ever be to us. It will drag us down, deplete our energy and make us feel lazy. 

If we dig deeper and see it for what it truly is, a signal for change and an opportunity for breakthroughs, it can serve its true purpose: to push us towards a path of consistent personal growth instead of constant mediocrity.

Boredom, despite how frustrating it feels and how dragging it seems, is a gift. It’s a giant billboard screaming that something needs to change. More than a lack of interest, it’s a desire for something new. Even if you don’t have the means to pursue that novelty, acknowledging its presence is a great first step into channeling boredom positively.

As easy as it is to pick up the phone to temporarily occupy your mind, sometimes it’s better to live in those moments of discomfort. By distracting yourself from being bored, you are robbing yourself of the opportunity to grow.

Making the most of boredom is not the same as “making the best use of your time” either. It is not about finishing the most work or being the most productive. Embracing boredom requires patience, trust and confidence in the process and yourself. 

To truly benefit from boredom you have to make a conscious effort to sit with yourself and look for inward satisfaction instead of external distractions. If you’re bored because you can’t meaningfully engage with your environment, you’re not going to find the solution to your boredom in your environment either. 

While enduring boredom, you’ll be forced to reflect. You’ll have the chance to think about your goals, your purpose and to enjoy the company of your mind. And even if no life-changing revelations are found during your boredom break, when you’re back to work, you’ll experience increased creativity, improved discipline and more focus.

We’ll never “cure” boredom and we shouldn’t bother trying. It’s as useless as trying to “cure” anger or sadness. What we can do is channel our boredom positively. We can listen to its message and allow ourselves some moments of true idleness so that our brains can get the second wind they need.

Much of this article was inspired by the following sources:  What Does Boredom Do to Us—and for Us?, Why Boredom is Good For You, This is Boring, Science of Boredom. If you’re interested in learning more I would suggest these four in particular, they are informative, insightful and definitely not boring.