Celebrities are hilariously out of touch

No, I do not care that your sister “copied” you by getting married in Italy
Unsplash

While perhaps not the most profound podcast in the world, Emma Chamberlain’s “anything goes” podcast is something I’ve enjoyed listening to for a fair couple of months. For those of you who don’t know, Emma Chamberlain is an influencer who’s been making content ranging from daily vlogs to the aforementioned podcast for a couple of years. 

Mostly, I found it as some mindless entertainment when nothing else seemed appealing. The occasional thought-provoking comment was just a bonus. It wasn’t until listening to a specific episode, “the pressure to overachieve,” that I realized how big the disconnect is between our lives.

“If you get no homework done one day because you just mentally can’t do it,” Chamberlain said. “And you maybe even get an ‘F,’ so be it.”

On a fundamental level, I agree with her: nothing is more important than someone’s mental and physical well-being. However, as a sophomore in high school already stressed about the idea of college applications, I don’t know how feasible the advice of taking an “F” is.

Uploading her episode called “the fear of missing out” and claiming she had FOMO because she doesn’t have a private jet was the final straw.

Ever since that, I’ve started perusing her content with a more critical outlook. I try to not put it at the forefront of my mind when listening to her speak but every time she talks about school anxiety or overachieving I can’t help but think to myself: “Your job in life is to make videos talking about said life and sell your coffee brand. Is that so hard? If so, let’s switch places.”

Chamberlain is a celebrity with unique beginnings so when she seems out of touch, it feels a lot more jarring than with other celebrities. She got her start making casual vlogs when she was still in high school and her popularity was largely due to her relatability. Her first viral video was her recreating a $300 “Gucci” shirt for $20.

Her humble beginnings make her current status as a “Louis Vuitton” ambassador a touch ironic.

A combination of the aforementioned factors has led to many people online falling out of love with Chamberlain and her content, deeming her out of touch and not the “down to Earth” YouTuber they once enjoyed.

Public perception of Chamberlain altering is not an isolated incident. People becoming disillusioned with celebrities seems to be affecting those as esteemed as the Kardashians.

The Kardashian family has ruled the media with their presence for the last decade. Their only personal trait seems to be being “famous because they’re famous.”

However, since the COVID-19 lockdown, people have become more avidly critical of the family. In Oct. 2020, Kim Kardashian hosted her birthday party on a private island amidst the panic happening everywhere else in the world. This led to an immense backlash both from the media and people online.

Since then, people have grown more critical. From the private jet usage scandal in the summer of 2022 to smaller things like Kendall Jenner not knowing how to cut a cucumber. However, the most recent scandal deserves a top-three placement for how out of touch it was.

Kim Kardashian accused Kourtney Kardashian of copying her by getting married in Italy.

“I got married in Italy. Am I saying you copied me by getting married in Italy?” Kim said in her confessional on their show “The Kardashians.”

The clip of the quote quickly blew up with numerous people making fun of it and how ridiculous it was.

All this drama, while entertaining, is indicative of a larger collective realization among the general public. They are finding it harder to be charmed by wealthy people who lack the types of hardships the average person faces.

When someone’s biggest problem is that their sister copied them by getting married in Italy or that they don’t have a private jet, it’s a challenge to express an ounce of empathy.

The U.S. has been teetering on the edge of economic recession for months now. Inflation is through the roof. The housing market is a disaster. Many people are struggling to pay rent and put food on the table. With all these dire problems it’s hard to care about an Italian wedding.