The sun rises on Class of 2024’s senior year

Lindsay Gould

With a half-risen sun peeking over the Oak Park hills, the Class of 2024 gathered together to experience the annual Senior Sunrise. On Aug. 28, members of the ASB senior class were on campus as early as 5:30 a.m. to sell tickets for doughnuts and coffee.

Pajama-clad, blanket-wrapped seniors sat in clusters across the length of the football field. To senior Abinaya Hariharan, “going to school that early should be a crime,” but that didn’t stop her friend group from taking pictures and playing UNO.

“There wasn’t really a sunrise, but it was nice to just hang out with friends on the field,” Hariharan said.

With over 200 tickets sold, many students basked in the sun and the presence of their peers as they each left a painted handprint on a shared mural.

“Senior Sunrise exceeded my expectations. I thought it was going to be boring but it was nice hanging out with my friends and enjoying the view,” senior Maddie Mora said. 

By 8 a.m., students began to pack up and leave, getting ready for another Monday of school. Months stand between Senior Sunrise and graduation, but the event marked the beginning of more traditions to come.

“It was a good wrap-up of high school and it was nice to experience something with the people I go to school with,” senior Neala Blank said. 

A similar event is planned for this spring, one of many set to culminate the senior experience.

“We look forward to our Senior Sunset in May to come full circle and conclude our year,” senior Catherine Cheng said.