Celebrating traditions: A preview of the upcoming Jewish holidays

Greeting year 5784
Anthony Coles/Unsplash

As the leaves change color and autumn greets us again, 16 million Jews worldwide prepare to celebrate some of the most important holidays on the calendar. These holidays are deeply rooted in tradition and unity. They allow Jewish people to celebrate their existence as a people for thousands of years and foster their community.

Oak Park Unified School District students have been given days off to commemorate these ceremonies. Let’s consider how some OPHS students may celebrate in the coming weeks.

Rosh Hashanah: The New Year

Rosh Hashanah, the “Head of the Year,” marks the Jewish New Year and is celebrated with a symphony of traditions and symbolism. This is the time for self-reflection and renewal of commitment to a righteous path. The sound of the shofar, a ram’s horn, reverberates through synagogues worldwide.

One of many long-standing and widely celebrated traditions of Rosh Hashanah is eating apples dipped in honey. This symbolizes the sweet aspirations of the year ahead. 

Other foods traditionally eaten include challah and pomegranate. Pomegranate carries explicitly the symbolism of abundant seeds representing the blessings of a fruitful year. 

Jews from specific backgrounds also have their unique traditions. Ashkenazi Jews, or European Jews, will commonly serve gefilte fish and lekach, a honey cake.

Yom Kippur: The Holiest Day of the Year

Shortly following the new year is Yom Kippur, the “Day of Atonement”. It’s a somber day of fasting, prayer and introspection.  This is a time to seek forgiveness for wrongdoings and make amends.

On this day, observant Jews fast from sunset the evening before until sundown. The period of fasting lasts for approximately 25 hours.

Other activities include attending synagogue services, wearing white attire and acts of charity or kindness. 

White clothing is to symbolize purity and a fresh start. It is customary to abstain from wearing leather shoes and jewelry as well.

Acts of charity have a specific Hebrew word, tzedakah. This is a method of demonstrating one’s commitment to improving their behaviors and helping others.

Much like Shabbat, or Sabbath, Yom Kippur is considered a holiday of rest. Work, travel and other activities are avoided, allowing individuals to focus on the holiday.

Sukkot: Festival of Booths

Sukkot lasts eight days and commemorates one of the three major pilgrimages in Judaism, the others being Passover and Shavuot. 

During this holiday, Jews build temporary structures in backyards called sukkot, singular being the sukkah. The sukkah intends to represent the temporary shelters used by Jews after being expelled from Egypt.

The Sukkot, or booths, are typically made of wood, bamboo or canvas and furnished with fruits, vegetables and other decorations.

During the eight days, it’s commonplace for the family to eat their meals inside the sukkah, fostering a sense of unity and gratitude. As well as inviting others to join them for these days of community.

The upcoming holidays of Rosh Hashanah, Yom Kippur and Sukkot offer a powerful tapestry of traditions and symbolism that connect Jewish communities across the globe. From introspection to joyous celebrations, these holidays enrich the spirit and remind us of the power of tradition. 

As the shofar’s call resonates and the sukkah’s walls are adorned, Jewish families come together to embrace these profound moments of renewal and reflection.