Grassroots club celebrates Hispanic culture

OPHS performs cultural dance in honor of Hispanic Heritage Month
Charlize Ocon

In celebration of Hispanic Heritage Month, Oak Park High School Wellness Counselor Fatima Hernandez performed ballet folklorico during lunch in G-9, on Monday Oct. 9. Presented by OPHS’ Grassroots Club, committed to making change, the event drew a large crowd.

“It was eye opening to see a new part of my culture, ” senior Rozele Soto said.

Spanish Honors Society President senior Hunter Glass went to the highly attended event and described the impact of the dance. 

“This was such an important event to bring awareness to Hispanic Culture at Oak Park,” Glass said. “The Spanish Honors Society was pleased to attend this display of culture. It was an extremely important highlight into the art and culture of Hispanic communities.”

Priscilla Vargas, an active member of Grassroots Club and Vice President of Spanish Honors Society, spoke about her feelings about the performance. She expressed the joy she experienced in seeing this new form of representation. 

“As a Hispanic/Latina myself, I was so happy to finally see my culture represented in the school,” Vargas said. “I’m really happy that I could help Ms. Hernandez organize and promote this through the Grassroots Club.”

Hispanic Heritage month began on Sept. 15, and ends on Oct. 15. This year’s theme for the month is “Latinos: Driving Prosperity, Power and Progress in America.” For more information on Hispanic Heritage month and its history, click here.