South America faces unprecedented heat wave

Looks like tank top weather in the last days of winter

Winter is ending in the southern hemisphere, but many South American countries are experiencing summer heat up to 104 degrees Fahrenheit due to an extreme heat wave. 

The countries of Argentina, Brazil, Bolivia and Paraguay have all reached record temperatures in the past month. The extreme weather was caused by an El Niño, a natural climate phenomenon that has been amplified by climate change. 

“[The heat wave is] lingering into the Southern Hemisphere’s spring, with climate change making the event 100 times more likely,” U.S. News said.

The high temperatures increased the fire risk in these countries, and in Chile specifically, the heat has had more drastic effects.

“For Chile, the most likely impact is on snowpack in the mountains, which provides water for drinking, agriculture and power generation. Any melting of the snowpack will probably also affect the diverse flora and fauna found in the Andes,” Climate Home News said. 

These hot temperatures can also result in severe dehydration and other lethal health conditions. 

“The human body has evolved to operate within a relatively narrow temperature range. Raise your core body temperature beyond just six or seven degrees and drastic physiological consequences soon follow. Cellular processes break down, the heart is taxed, and organs begin to fail,” Pacific Northwest National Laboratory said.

As global temperatures increase, the risks of heat-induced illnesses and extreme heat waves increase all over the world.

“Overall, this heatwave is a startling reminder of how humans are changing Earth’s climate. We will continue to see such unprecedented extremes until we stop burning fossil fuels and emitting greenhouse gasses into the atmosphere,” Climate Home News said.