veritas exquirere

veritas exquirere

veritas exquirere

Boys’ basketball steals the show with ‘Magic Mike’ performance

Nine teams compete at the second annual dance showdown
Jessica Qi
Boys’ basketball shows off after their win

This year’s showdown competition showcased nine teams each with unique performances, costumes and themes. Paired with cheerleaders and dancers, the teams planned, practiced and performed their numbers in front of a panel of three judges.

With appearances from several different sports teams, a staff team and the newly added Medea Creek Middle School team, there was a variety of choreography on display. But despite their tough competition, boys’ basketball secured the win and cash prize with a particularly memorable production.

With a ‘Magic Mike’ theme and coordinated outfits, the players backflipped, stunted
and danced on the floor to put on a performance that left quite an impression on the audience.

“Their performance was definitely surprising,” junior Kirthi Paramasivan said. “But it was actually really
well performed and synced.”

Their music choice, synergy and enthusiasm for the show made for a presentation
unlike that of any other team.

Though the judges were quite critical of the lack of “actual dancing” and choreography in their performance, they were thoroughly impressed with the
energy the players brought to the stage and gave them the sec-
ond-highest score that night, 23.

“I would have liked to see more choreography and less dancing and bumping,” judge Nicole Rubio said. “But the energy was definitely there, I can see you guys rehearsed this a lot.”

Also scoring high, girls’ basketball and MCMS made it to the voting round alongside boys’
basketball. Their performances were highlighted by synchronized dance numbers, doing the “worm” across the floor and a player running across the stage with a Nicki Minaj USA flag.

However, boys’ basketball still pulled through with the audience vote to win. Nick Molchanov, a star performer in the boy’s performance, praised the dedication it took to prepare for the showdown.

“We’ve been putting in countless hours, practicing two, three weeks out, for two
hours a day,” Molchanov said. “Dedication is serious when you want to be a winner.”

While each player favored a different part of the performance, everyone was happy with their execution and the results of the competition.

“My favorite part was when I did a back handspring,” Mateo Nicholas said. “But I mean the
whole thing was just really fun.”

Molchanov agreed, adding that the team’s effort and energy during the performance was key to their success.

“We were very organized and the choreography was amazing,” Molchanov added. “I was really feeling the groove in the moment and that was a key aspect of the whole dance.”

View Comments (1)
$288
$1500