OPHS celebrates annual Monster Mash Dash

The Oak Park Education Foundation hosted the annual Monster Mash Dash on Oct. 29. The event had two activities, a 5k run with a $50 entree fee and a Fun Run with a $25 entree fee. Participants were encouraged to bring as many relatives and friends to contribute. As a result, 500 participants from all over the community joined – with the most runners from Brookside Elementary School – in support of ending education barriers.

The Fun Run permitted all ages to compete and show their Halloween spirit by dressing up. This one-mile race had participants run through Oak Park High School’s fields. The 5k course weaved through the baseball and softball fields, the nearby neighborhoods, and the canyons of Oak Park. The finish line for both races started and ended at OPHS, where participants received a t-shirt and medal for completion, and the winners were given trophies.

OPHS sophomore Olivia Manabe celebrated winning the 5k. 

“I thought it was really fun,” Manabe said. “Also, I came in first place. They gave me a trophy; it was really cool. The course was pretty chill and it was cute because we got to go around most of the school…I would come back again because it was really cool.”

OPHS junior Nik Huber was also a participant in the 5k, winning first place in the boys race. He enjoyed the challenge of competing against determined opponents and the overall positivity surrounding the race.

The Monster Mash Dash raised over $10,000 which goes to state funding and helps with the cost of what it takes to provide quality education in Oak Park Schools, along with the help of the Oak Park Education Foundation. Every dollar that was contributed to the race goes toward higher-quality education in Oak Park.