OPHS holds its 2023 College Athletic Signing

A glimpse into the futures of six OPHS athletes

Six senior athletes solidified their futures with various colleges to continue their sports and academic careers on Nov. 9, 2023. During the signing, many Oak Park High School athletes said they felt excited to continue their athletic careers and happy for all they have achieved.

Decorations of balloons and college merch stood in the middle of the gym behind the athletes. Surrounding the athletes were their support teams – coaches, friends, and family. 

Tyler Cash signs with the University of California San Diego

“My experience was very good and I’m just grateful to have the opportunity to commit to such a great college both academically and athletically. UC San Diego is in a great location and is a very good overall school,” Cash said.

Although going to college is a significant change, Cash has hope and excitement for his future. 

“I have put a lot of work into my athletics and it has been paying off for me. I’m excited about the change in lifestyle that’s going to come with me at UCSD and I’m nervous about being able to juggle academics and soccer at the same time,” Cash said. 

Kailey Yantis-Blank signs with Baylor University

Reflecting on her athletic career so far, Yantis-Blank touches on the road that led her to the OPHS gym, signing to a college to continue her athletic and academic dreams.

“My athletic career has been a journey today at the least. I have been on teams in multiple different states, some I have had to fly to for practices. Every step of my athletic journey so far has gotten me to where I am today and I am so excited to continue my adventure at Baylor,” Yantis-Blank said. 

Even with feelings of nervousness, Yantis-Blank expresses her enthusiasm for the future.

“I’m excited about being able to compete at a collegiate level. I’m probably most nervous about being on my own,” Yantis-Blank said.

Katelyn Diamond signs with the University of Tennessee Chattanooga

Looking back on what got her to this point and signing to a college to continue her academic and athletic dreams, Diamond is thrilled to attend UTC.

“I think I will fit right in and have a great time continuing my beach volleyball career on their team. My athletic career can only be described as a constant grind. All the hours, commitment, sweat, and tears were all worth it in the end and I wouldn’t change a thing,” Diamond said.

Going to college is a big step and is scary but despite the nervousness, Katelyn is confident that she will love it there

“I’m excited to be in a new environment and play against some new competition in the south/east coast. I’m just a little nervous to be so far away from home, but I know I’m going to love Tennessee,” Diamond said.

Ava Dermott signs with the University of California Santa Barbra 

Along with feelings of nervousness and fear about moving to a new place, Dermott is excited and confident in her choice of school

“I chose UCSB because I thought it was an amazing school. It offers great academics and athletics as well as the campus is beautiful. I like that I can walk to the beach and that I’m close to home. I am so excited to go to UCSB. Although I will miss everyone here, I can’t wait to graduate so I can go there and play,” Dermott said.

Thinking back on her athletic career, Dermott considers the challenges she’s faced and the hard work she’s done to get where she is now.

“I look back on my athletic career and think about how it was all worth it. There were times when I felt like I didn’t want to play but I’m happy I stuck with it because now I get to go to my dream school,” Dermott said.

Lily Huynh signs with St. John’s University

Playing a sport at a collegiate level is hard work according to Lily, but is excited to play in a new atmosphere and explore her academic career as a business major and athletic career through the golf program.

“I am excited to play my sport at a collegiate level and push myself to play harder than I ever did before. Something I am nervous about is college life and being able to juggle athletics and academics at a higher level but I know that I will be fine,” Huynh said.

Considering the ups and downs of her athletic career Lily is grateful for the people she met and the relationships she created through golf

“I would reflect on my athletic career as bittersweet because I made many memories these past few years. I met new people and created relationships that I would never have made if not for golf,” Huynh said.

The college signing day was an incredible celebration recognizing all of our student-athletes headed to play at the collegiate level said Klamecki; Kailey Yantis-Blank, Tyler Cash, Kaitlyn Diamond, Lily Huynh, Ava Dermott, and Maria Coleman.