The Spotify Wrapped phenomenon is back

Who was your top artist?
The Spotify Wrapped phenomenon is back

As soon as December hits, it is time for an annual ritual that brings anticipation, excitement and nostalgia to millions of music enjoyers worldwide. 

Spotify gifts its users a complete, personalized recap of the individuals’ top artists, most listened-to tracks and listening habits from the past year. The excitement this event produces is a hot topic of conversation, especially among Oak Park High School students.

“Everyone is talking about their Spotify Wrapped! Who’s your number one? What are your top songs? These are questions I get asked on the daily. I do get the hype, there is something so thrilling about looking back on your favorite music. It brings back so many memories and emotions,” junior Claire Farnsworth said.

Spotify wrapped does not just simply state facts and statistics. It is interactive, creating personalized playlists and stations encouraging the discovery of new tunes. 

“I listen to my Spotify wrapped playlist a lot. I find so much new music through all the recommendations based on my Spotify wrapped,” freshman Rachelle Kim said. “It is such a big thing, people post it on their Instagram and Snapchat and all my friends talk about it.”

This experience is not only limited to Spotify users, many competing apps offer a version of the idea.

“I have Apple Music, but I can still see my top artists and songs,” sophomore Cooper Catania said. “It’s no problem and I can still contribute to the conversation when my friends talk about it. It is such a fun thing to talk about because learning about your friends’ music tastes can tell you a lot about them.”

Spotify Wrapped has great social potential and is a great way to connect with others. 

“I have grown closer with some of my friends by talking about our Spotify wrapped,” senior Holden Heidt said. “I had this one buddy whose top artists and songs were similar to mine and we totally bonded over it. It’s crazy how much music can bring people together.”

In essence, the Spotify Wrapped phenomenon speaks to the impact of music on the students of OPHS. This event promotes conversations where students can subtly express their individuality, culture and emotions to their peers. The music discussion can only help the mission of bringing a strong sense of community to OPHS.