veritas exquirere

veritas exquirere

veritas exquirere

OPUSD Superintendent Dr. Jeff Davis announces retirement

Oak Park Unified School District website

Oak Park Unified School District announced Superintendent Dr. Jeff Davis’ retirement on Nov. 1, effective June 30, 2024.

Davis joined OPUSD in July of 2021, amidst school closures and virtual learning due to the COVID-19 pandemic. 

“I have greatly appreciated working with Dr. Davis over the past two and a half years,” OPHS Principal Mat McClenahan said. “I admire his advocacy for students, his support of teachers and his commitment to helping all students achieve their dreams. I’m going to miss working with him, but I’m very happy for him on a personal level.”

Russ Peters, OPHS teacher and member of the Oak Park Teacher Association, shared his insight with his collaboration with Dr. Davis over the years.

“With my position in the Union, Dr. Davis and I had an ongoing line of open communication,” Peters said. “We had a very strong working relationship. Dr. Davis has been an excellent superintendent, and most importantly a good person. I will certainly miss him.”

OPHS English teacher Jennifer Hankins respects Dr. Davis for the support he has shown for her newly formed class, Movements of Social Change.

“Teaching a class for the first time can often feel nerve wracking, but having Dr. Davis’ support has definitely been reassuring,” Hankins wrote to the Talon. “His classroom visits stand out because, in my 27 years of teaching, I have never had a superintendent know and call me by name and visit my classroom. It attests to the values of community and personal relationships that Dr. Davis has promoted from the very beginning of his role as superintendent at OPUSD.”

Hankins feels bittersweet about Davis’s retirement. She believes Davis’s ambitions of OPHS are indispensible to the school’s growth. 

“Seeing him involved and interacting with students, staff, and the community truly distinguishes Dr. Davis as superintendent during his time here at Oak Park and I’m going to miss seeing his friendly face and enthusiastic presence on campus,” Hankins wrote.

Junior Ella Broms has appreciated Davis’ support for OPHS athletics. 

“Dr. Davis has been such a big supporter of the girls basketball program. He went to so many of our games last season and was thrilled when he received a CIF ring from our coach after we won this past march,” Broms said.

Nicole Carter, OPHS Journalism and Yearbook adviser, appreciates Davis’ advocacy for student press. 

“Dr. Davis has been incredibly supportive of student publications and elevating student voice,” Carter said. “I am also touched by his compassion for OPUSD staff. I started working in OPUSD last year, and he made a point to remember me by name and continually express appreciation for my work. He is a powerful leader and I am sad to see him go.”  

Dr. Denise Helfstein, President of the OPUSD Governing Board, commemorated all of Davis’ work in a StudentSquare post on Nov. 2. 

“He has played a critical role in enhancing our athletic programs…Dr. Davis has been a staunch advocate for the arts and extracurricular activities of all kinds,” Helftein wrote. “He not only advocated for adding wellness counselors at our middle and high schools but was instrumental in establishing our Wellness Center at the high school.”

Dr. Helfstein noted that the search for a new superintendent has commenced. A board meeting on Nov. 7 was held to discuss the steps of the process. 

Davis feels immense gratitude for the efforts of every person he has worked with in the district.

“To our dedicated staff and administrators, your commitment, tireless efforts and leadership are the backbone of our community…To our students, you are the heart and soul of OPUSD,” Davis wrote. “To our parents and families, your trust, engagement and active involvement have been indispensable in building the strong foundation of our community.”