veritas exquirere

veritas exquirere

veritas exquirere

Percy Jackson gets the on-screen representation it deserves

Thank the Gods!

What Harry Potter is to millennials, Percy Jackson is to Gen Z. Fans of the books may recall an on-screen adaptation starring Logan Lerman in 2010 and a sequel in 2013; however, the movies failed to meet expectations (besides the infamous Lotus Casino scene). Their stray from the original material and the lack of involvement from Rick Riordan, the author, left viewers disappointed and unsatisfied.

“I really loved the actors for the old movies but I felt they would have done better in different roles,” wrote senior book club co-president, Lexi Manadapu. “Overall I didn’t like them because of the clear fact the actors were much older than they were supposed to be in the movie.”

Over a decade has passed, but the wait is finally over. The beloved five-book fantasy series is officially being rebooted into an eight-part series premiering on Disney+. 

“I am thrilled to be the first to tell you that Percy Jackson and the Olympians is really, truly, and for sure coming to your screens,”  Riordan said in the official announcement. “The smart folks at Disney+ have given us the green light.”

The show will follow the first book in the series, “Percy Jackson: The Lightning Thief,” which introduced the world to Camp Half-Blood in 2005. The book follows 12-year-old Percy Jackson, a troubled kid who discovers his father is Poseidon, the Greek God of the sea. With the help of his new friends, Annabeth and Grover, Percy embarks on a quest across the United States to stop a war between the gods. 

“My feeling was always that television was the better format for ‘Percy,’ because it allows us a larger canvas to tell more of the story,” Riordan said in Variety. “And to be more faithful to the source material, which is what the fans of the books really would love to see.”

From the handful of set photos depicting the famous Capture the Flag scene to the teaser trailer released on Sept. 19, fans are thrilled to see the book-accurate set design and age-appropriate casting for the main characters. 

“…The goal is to stay true to the original story and have Percy’s character age from 12 to 16 over the course of the TV series, assuming, of course, we are lucky enough to make all five seasons,” wrote Riordan on his website. “That will depend on viewership on Disney+, which is where all of you can help!”

As trailers, interviews and sneak peeks continue to drop on social media, fans are counting down the days until the son of Poseidon battles to save Olympus.

“When I heard about the reboot I was a little scared at first, but when I heard Rick Riordan would work on [the show] I got so excited,” wrote senior book club member Jasmine Vargas. “I trust the tv show will do the book justice.”

The show is set for a two-episode debut on Dec. 20 and plans to release episodes weekly until the finale. 

“All the feedback from those who have seen early clips has been incredibly positive,” wrote Riordan. “I have gotten so many comments that basically say, ‘Finally, a faithful adaptation!’ I agree. I think you’ll be pleased.”