veritas exquirere

veritas exquirere

veritas exquirere

Borquez is Employee of the Month

OPUSD acknowledges his incredible legacy

Oak Park Unified School District awarded Employee of the Month Zachary Borquez for his efforts and hard work in the Oak Park High School music department. Borquez has been with Oak Park High School’s music department for over a decade and has made significant contributions to the program. 

Mr. Borquez began and has developed OPHS’ Instrumental Music department into a program that has hundreds of students who perform,” wrote principal Mat McClenahan. “This is an important aspect of our school culture. But, more importantly, his leadership has allowed all these students to explore another meaningful aspect of their lives as fully as possible.”

Not only has Borquez dedicated his time to the students of OPHS, but he has also volunteered to help those that are still in middle school. 

“Recently, Mr. Borquez took on extra duties, while continuing to support all the students at OPHS, to help students at MCMS prepare for their winter concert,” McClenahan wrote. ”This was incredibly important in their lives and is a testament to his commitment to the performing arts in the Oak Park Unified School District.”

Few high school music departments seek the secret ingredient to having a well-rounded music program, and Borquez has found it. 

“Consistency,” Borquez said. “The structure of a well-balanced ensemble leads to the success of each group. That preparation is the biggest consistent factor that has led to the success of the department.”

Borquez explained some days can become quite stressful, especially with all the different responsibilities of being in charge of the music department. But this didn’t stop Borquez from teaching to his fullest potential. 

“Remembering that I have a great job helps when I’m having a particularly not great day to go home [to],” Borquez said. “When I come back I have a better outlook because it’s all about perception. Taking one thing at a time is all you can do.”

Borquez is proud of this accomplishment and has appreciated the support from his OPHS colleagues. 

“It feels great,” Borquez said. “I have been getting a lot of congratulations from passing colleagues.”