Mock trial makes top 8 in Ventura County Competition

OPHS Mock Trial advanced to higher rounds

Oak Park High School’s mock trial teams started their competition season with amazing wins. Team captains Charlize Ocon and Florence Wang lead both the teams to top five positions in the Ventura County competition where a total of 28 teams participated. 

In the first rounds, black team faced Trinity, Oaks Chrisitan, Westlake and Ventura High School, placing 3rd after their four trials. The gold team faced La Reina, Westlake, Rio Mesa and Santa Susana High School, placing 5th.

“As captain, it has been truly fulfilling to see everyone’s hard work, talent and unique personalities shine and us earn our rightful spots in the top eight,” Wang said. 

The team has been preparing diligently for their trials, meeting 2 days every week after school and going to weekend scrimmages.

“We’ve all worked so hard and it’s so rewarding to see where it’s gotten us,” senior Hunter Glass said.

By the end of the two weekends of trials, black team placed 5th and gold 7th. However, some students won individual awards during the ceremony.

Sophomore Ankkita Karthik won second place for the best Gerri Moayed and Junior Noah Chang won first place for the best Dr.Parker Turner. Team captains Florence Wang and Charlize Ocon won MVP. Although the team’s journey ends here for the year, they are still very proud of the work they’ve done. 

Senior Veda Bollappalli, who has been on the team her whole high school career expressed this sentiment post competition. “Both of us placing in the top eight goes to show the amount of effort and education from every single member,” Bollapalli said. “I am so proud of our team and where we got.”