veritas exquirere

veritas exquirere

veritas exquirere

The production of ‘Something Rotten’ takes the stage by storm

OPHS students work to create a musical masterpiece
Oak+Park%E2%80%99s+theater+department+rehearses+for+%E2%80%9CSomething+Rotten%E2%80%9D+
Oak Park’s theater department rehearses for “Something Rotten”

The Oak Park High School Theater Department premieres its annual spring show, “Something Rotten,” in the Pavilion at 7 P.M. from Mar. 7 – 9.  

A homage to Shakespeare and his rise to fame, this musical comedically encapsulates the attainment of a dream. 

“The premise of the show is Renaissance England, and Shakespeare is the biggest writer and playwright that anyone’s ever heard of,” freshman Jade Wolff, who plays Rosalind and Ensemble, said. “There are also these two brothers, the Bottom brothers, who are trying to write plays, get a start, and become well known. They are having trouble getting attraction because of how famous Shakespeare is by comparison so they try to weasel their way into fame.” 

A variety of dance numbers have also been included to ensure an exciting experience for the audience. 

“I really like “Hard to be the Bard,” “Bottom’s Gonna Be on Top” and “We See the Light.” But honestly all the numbers are my favorites,” OPHS Theater Department director Ellyn Schneider wrote. 

OPHS students have devoted hours after school and on weekends for practices in order to put forth their best work. 

“We’ve known about it for a while but we haven’t started working on it until after the 24 hour [play] so it was the week before finals when we had auditions, and we have been working on it since then,” Wolff said. “The general rehearsal schedule for the majority of the year is 3:45 to 6:30, but it fluctuates a lot based on who is needed for what rehearsal and who can come.” 

After eight long, yet rewarding weeks of production, be sure to support our OPHS students and buy tickets.