Food review: Starbucks spring-themed food and beverages

Are the new items worth a try?
The new Iced Lavender Cream Oatmilk Matcha from Starbucks.

As spring rolls around, restaurants and businesses adapt their menus and practices to give a happy and lively vibe, traits often associated with the sunny and warm weather that comes with the new season. We have observed the widespread introduction of pink and purple colored items and floral patterns across menus of various establishments.

After hearing all the rave reviews about Starbucks’s new spring-themed items, we decided we had to give a few of them a try. 

Starting off with the flower-like Iced Lavender Cream Oatmilk Matcha, we were very pleased with the visual aspect of this drink. Having never enjoyed the taste of a matcha drink in the past, we did not have very high expectations for this drink. However, after taking one sip of the beverage, we were surprisingly pleased.

The lavender cream that sat atop the matcha was perfectly sweet and fruity, almost like a sugary fruit cereal. This sweetness contrasted the bitterness of the matcha well, making for a slightly sweet taste in every sip.

As we continued to sip the drink, the taste changed and more of the matcha flavor shone through. So, we concluded that the lavender cream was the focal point of this drink, yet the lavender and matcha flavors complement each other to make for a refreshing feeling.

Next was the Chicken, Maple Butter & Egg Sandwich. Having enjoyed Stabucks’s other sandwiches, we assumed we would really enjoy this new item. The sandwich was well-prepared and visually pleasing, but the taste was a bit odd. 

Although most of the ingredients fit together well, the maple flavoring in the butter seemed out of place to us. The chicken, however, was a great new addition to Starbucks’s sandwiches as it was a nice change in protein for the coffee chain. The oat-biscuit roll was soft and the egg was perfectly cooked and fluffy. Overall, this new breakfast sandwich was satisfying, but in our opinion, not one of the chain’s top hot breakfast menu items.

After tasting these two new items, we would definitely recommend trying them. Although they are not our favorite items on Starbucks’s menu, we still enjoyed the new flavors. Who knows, maybe the Iced Lavender Cream Oatmilk Matcha and the Chicken, Maple Butter & Egg Sandwich will be your new favorite pick-me-up after a long day.