Chinese Culture Night features student and teacher talent

Students of all ages perform Chinese songs, dances for live audience

Alex Allison plays the guitar as part of a performance at Chinese Culture Night. High school Chinese students, elementary school students, Chinese club members and high school staff participated in the festivities (Photograph from Akshita Dondeti/Talon).

The annual Chinese Culture Night was held in the Pavilion Friday, Feb.12. The sold-out show celebrated the Year of the Monkey through student and teacher performances.

High school Chinese students, elementary school students, Chinese club members and high school staff participated in the festivities. Performers said the night was a rewarding experience.

“It’s a lot of fun and it’s a good way to bring all the Chinese classes together,” participant and sophomore Madeline Quon said.

Chinese culture night offers the community a chance to experience the culture and traditions of the Chinese New Year.

Culture nights are important because students get to share their knowledge of the Chinese culture with the community,

— Vincent Chung

“They get to feel what it’s like to celebrate Chinese New Year in China because people love to watch shows and be part of them to celebrate the holidays,” Chinese teacher Sherry Hung said. “With the New Year being the biggest holiday in China, I want them to have that experience. This is a very important part of Chinese life and culture.”

Students said they agreed with Hung about the night’s importance.

“I like that it brings people together. There’s a lot more people than you would expect and that’s just because there is a fun environment and a fun atmosphere,” Master of Ceremonies Noah Garfinkel said. “It embodies what Chinese culture is.”

Senior Vincent Chung said the culture night also helps inform audience members who may not know Chinese traditions.

“Culture nights are important because students get to share their knowledge of the Chinese culture with the community,” Chung said.

Audience members said they felt a connection to the performances.

“These nights are nice because they remind us of our Chinese heritage. That is important because, we can’t forget our roots,” audience member Tim Chang said. “These people know that and they came here to celebrate our origin.”

Chinese Culture Night gave students the opportunity to showcase what they have learned.

“I want parents to know that their children are not only learning the language but learning songs and dances,” Hung said. “They are standing in front of people and performing and they are using a new language to do this.”

Audience members said the night sparked genuine appreciation for the culture.

“I think it’s really cool that so many people have taken a few hours from their Friday night to appreciate the culture and the department at the school,” sophomore Anika Krishnan said. “It’s kind of uncommon to see people really appreciate culture these days. The fact that there are so many people to appreciate the Chinese culture is amazing.”