Benton Scholarship awarded

2 seniors receive grants in name of late teacher Jim Benton

Left+to+right%3A+History+teacher+Victor+Anderson%2C+Joanne+Anderson+and+Jim+Benson+in+front+of+the+Tower+Bridge+in+London.+Benton+chaperoned+trips+to+Washington%2C+D.C.+and+Europe+during+his+time+at+Oak+Park+%28Photograph+courtesy+of+Victor+Anderson%29.+

Left to right: History teacher Victor Anderson, Joanne Anderson and Jim Benson in front of the Tower Bridge in London. Benton chaperoned trips to Washington, D.C. and Europe during his time at Oak Park (Photograph courtesy of Victor Anderson).

The Jim Benton Memorial Fund is offering grants that allow otherwise financially unable Oak Park students to attend school trips in Washington, D.C. and Europe.

In memory of Jim Benton, his wife Meredith Benton has established a scholarship fund for Oak Park students. Eighth grade students wishing to attend the annual trip to Washington, D.C., and seniors wishing to travel to Europe, are eligible for the scholarship starting this year. Current juniors are able to submit an application, due May 26, to travel in 2017.

Jim Benton was a math teacher at Medea Creek Middle School for more than 10 years. While he taught there, he had been in charge of the eighth grade trip to Washington, D.C.

“The D.C. trip brought him tremendous joy,” Meredith Benton wrote in an email. “He loved sharing the nation’s capital and all the history it has to offer with his students.”

Jim Benton also frequently joined the high school in its annual Europe trip.

The D.C. trip brought him tremendous joy. He loved sharing the nation’s capital and all the history it has to offer with his students,

— Meredith Benton

“[Meredith Benton] wanted [those trips] to be his legacy,” government teacher Robert Hall, who was a friend of Jim Benton, said.

Jim Benton suddenly died at the age of 33 in October 2012, shortly after moving to Nashville, TN, with his wife and child. His death occurred as he was chaperoning a trip to Washington, D.C.

“Since he died doing this, his family and I thought that helping others go to D.C. and to Europe was the most fitting way to honor his legacy and memory,” Meredith Benton wrote.

In lieu of flowers, Jim Benton’s obituary requested donations for Oak Park students to attend school trips.

“The fund was set up after Jim’s passing,” Meredith Benton wrote. “Funds were raised by friends and family from across the country making generous donations in Jim’s memory.”

For the Europe trip, the awarded funds can range from $500 to half the cost of the trip. The full cost can be upwards of $5000.

“I just wish that we could do more,” Meredith Benton wrote.

Seniors Kyle Widener and Ellie Strauch were awarded with grant money this year. Both will be attending the summer trip to Europe.

“I’m mostly just grateful for the opportunity,” Strauch wrote. “Mr. Hall said that this is the longest and most expensive trip that he’s ever done, so the scholarship makes it a lot more manageable. I had to pay for half of the trip myself, but since I love to travel it was worth it to me.”