Clown sightings abound leading to Halloween

Oak Park students remain vigilant toward wandering clowns

Clown sightings and attacks have spread across the nation over the last month, from South Carolina all the way to Ventura County.

The hysteria started in South Carolina when people dressing in clown costumes were reportedly seen luring children into the woods using candy. The first clown sighting in Ventura County was reported Thursday, Oct. 6.

I don’t think that regular people should be discouraged from wearing clown masks if they really want to.

— Emma Loparco

“Halloween is supposed to be an enjoyable experience whether it’s getting free candy, going out with friends or even going to a party,” freshman Allen Frieberg said. “With all the information we have now about this clown fiasco, parents and children need to be aware of their surroundings.”

The clown warnings have caused some students to be more vigilant and cautious about this Halloween.

“I think this year children should be extra cautious because there is never a full guarantee that there won’t be a clown where you are trick-or-treating,” Frieberg said.

Some students said they are rethinking their regular Halloween plans.

“I’m still deciding on whether or not I’m giving out candy this Halloween, but if I do, the clowns that come knocking aren’t getting any candy,” sophomore Elika Parab said.

Though many reports have been jokes, several have been substantiated. In one instance, a clown with multi-colored hair, wielding a baseball bat, ran after several civilians in Thousand Oaks Monday, Oct. 10.

Some stores have decided to take action. Target stopped selling clown masks and costumes to avoid acts of terror.

“I appreciate Target taking notice of this issue and trying to do something about it,” junior Emma Loparco said. “It just bothers me that the [impact of the] clowns has gotten so big that they can control what stores sell and how people live their lives.”

Some students said this may discourage people from dressing in clown costumes this Halloween.

“We have to be careful. Some groups of them have threatened schools and people. It’s kind of ridiculous that it’s gotten this out of hand and I don’t think that regular people should be discouraged from wearing clown masks if they really want to,” Loparco said.

Some college campuses have reported clowns sexually assaulting people after dark. Part of Pennsylvania State University’s campus was on lockdown when the police found three clowns lurking around the campus Monday, Oct. 3.

I’m still deciding on whether or not I’m giving out candy this Halloween.

— Elika Parab

Some Americans have taken the clown threat into their own hands.

College campuses, such as Michigan State University, have been on high alert after a vigilante group of students attacked a clown lurking around the campus courtyard on the night of Wednesday, Oct. 5.

“I have friends who are straight-up terrified and I have friends that want to go ‘clown hunting’ on Halloween.  Personally, I don’t consider them a threat because it seems so surreal to me,” sophomore Amanda Lurey says.

To senior Kanica Dubey, this is simply an attention-seeking strategy on the part of the people disguised as clowns.

“I feel like a lot of it is just random people dressing up as clowns,” Dubey said, “[either] because they’re seeking attention or for the sole purpose of getting a reaction.”