Former Playboy model charged with misdemeanor

Dani Mathurs, Oak Park alumna and former Playboy model, faces consequences for invasion of privacy

Dani Mathers, an Oak Park High School alumna and former Playboy model, posted a nude photograph on her Snapchat of a 70-year-old changing in an LA Fitness gym in early July 2016. She then captioned the photo, “If I can’t unsee this, then you can’t either.”

Mathers, 30, was a Playboy model who frequently guest-hosted the radio show “Heidi and Frank.” She graduated from Oak Park High School in 2005 and was voted Playmate of the Year in May 2015.

Kevin Smith, one of Mathers’ former high school teachers, questioned the ethics of the situation.

“Where do we draw the line between the privacy of the individual using the tool and other individuals’ right to privacy?” Smith said.

Since the incident, Mathers has taken to social media to apologize for her crime.

“The photo was taken as part of a personal conversation with a girlfriend and because I am new to Snapchat I didn’t realize I had posted it, and that was a huge mistake. I know I have upset a lot of people out there, but please believe me this is not the type of person that I am. I have never done this before and I will never do this again. You have my word,” Mathers said in a public Snapchat video.

Where do we draw the line between the privacy of the individual using the tool and other individuals’ right to privacy?

— Kevin Smith

Following her apology, Mathers was banned from every LA Fitness club and fired from her position at her usual radio show.

Mathers hired Thomas Mesereau, a well-known celebrity lawyer, to represent her against the charge of invasion of privacy.

Mathers is facing six months jail time and a $1000 fine. She was arraigned Nov. 28, 2016 and pled not guilty.

“I think her punishment probably should be more along the lines of community service as opposed to a jail sentence. Personally, I don’t believe she is going to learn much from that,” Oak Park High School teacher Chris Meyers said.