Blood Drive donations

Oak Park high school students donate blood for the triannual Red Cross Blood Drive

Students donated blood in the pavilion April 26 for the tria nnual blood drive.

Oak Park High School has participated in hosting blood drives since the 2007-08 school year. Over the course of ten years, OPHS has donated 176.875 gallons of blood, which has saved 4,245 patients’ lives.

The event was organized by junior Lindsay Belichesky, in affiliation with the Red Cross.

“I love the work and the Red Cross people make it so enjoyable,” Belichesky wrote to the Talon. “I signed up because of Sarah Salzman who opened the door for me to be her trainee.”

Senior Yadira Martinez has donated blood every year since she was a sophomore.

“A friend of mine recently needed a blood transfusion and there was a lack of her blood type,” Martinez said. “I just try to give blood whenever I can, because I know it helps people.”

In order to be eligible to donate blood, one must be in good health, at least 16-years-old and weigh at least 110 pounds.

According to the Red Cross website, “blood is frequently given to trauma patients and people undergoing surgery.” After blood has been tested, processed and approved, it is shipped to hospitals throughout the area 24 hours a day and seven days a week.

Blood transfusions are given to patients in various situations. The Red Cross website states that such transfusions are performed for “serious injuries, childbirth, anemia, blood disorders, cancer treatments and many more.”

It is vital for there to be a substantial amount of viable blood available to hospitals, especially for emergency situations. One blood donation can potentially save up to three lives; every two seconds, someone in the United States needs blood.

Michael McAdam is an Account Manager in the Donor Recruitment department for the Red Cross who helped organize the OPHS blood drive.

“It is extremely important for students to donate blood or to be exposed to the process,” McAdam said. “The future of blood supply depends on selfless individuals to either coordinate and recruit donors or become donors themselves.”