Making gourmet cafeteria food, student connections

Alex Goldbeck/Talon
Oak Park High School’s cafeteria is a hub for students and staff

“We typically serve approximately 60-70 students at nutrition and 160-170 students at lunch just in the cafeteria alone,” Director of Student Nutrition Carole Ly said.

Students’ meals can either be made the night before or made fresh every day from the school community. The cafeteria food is an option for students to get good quality lunches such as macaroni cheese and power bowls with mixed greens and protein options.

“It is nice. The food here is better than other foods I have had at different schools,” freshman Davin Robillard said.

The food provided to students is more than just a typical lunch meal. The cafeteria accommodates most student needs, ranging from vegetarian to vegan and gluten free.

Junior Ethan Land is one the students employed by the cafeteria.

“It’s a very good experience to have when you are just starting your working life,” Land said.

The cafeteria also works in conjunction with the Oak Park Unified School District’s Wellness Code in order to get students healthy foods. Dining at the high school is regulating portion sizes for students and making sure meals are healthy for all students. The food is also available for everyone as there are vegetarian options — some days are vegetarian-only.

“I like working with kids. I like making food,” cafeteria worker Araeli Priato said.

The cafeteria creates opportunities for both students and employees to help out the high school community, whether it be by unifying passions (kids and food) or offering students work experience.

“I know every time I go to work, I am going to have a good time,” Land said.