Jordan Dem commits to College of Wooster for baseball

Dem: “It’s the greatest game in the world”

Back to Article
Back to Article

Jordan Dem swings the bat in attempts to make it to first base before he strikes out

Photo Courtesy of Aaron Dem

Photo Courtesy of Aaron Dem

Photo Courtesy of Aaron Dem

Jordan Dem, current senior and varsity baseball player, has been playing baseball for 13 years, since the age of 5. On Oct. 1, Dem committed to playing baseball at The College of Wooster.

The College of Wooster is a Division III school in Wooster, Ohio that is consistently ranked in the top ten of Division III schools in the country.

Dem described the College of Wooster as a “perfect mix of academics and athletics” as he plans to major in Political Science and possibly minor in History.

Along the east coast or in the south is where Dem originally saw himself playing college baseball. He had offers from Clark University and Eastern Connecticut State University. Dem traveled to Arizona, Texas, Massachusetts, Connecticut, Ohio and New York to tour schools.

“Over the last few weeks, I’ve traveled to six different states on the east coast and the south,” Dem said. “After Ohio, I realized it was the best fit for me and it really felt like the best place.”

Dem said that the College of Wooster felt like home when he first walked on campus. He later emailed the assistant baseball coach at Wooster a recruiting video, which piqued their interest in Dem.

Varsity baseball coach and English teacher David Kinberg, who has known Dem for the past four years, described him as “extremely strong.”

“I think Jordan will do very well in college,” Kinberg said. “He works exceptionally hard. I think he picked a great school for him and I think he’ll make a great impact on his program when he gets there.”

Senior and teammate Josh Caltabiano described Dem as a “selfless player and person.”

“He always does his best to help the team and his teammates and never sees himself or acts like he is above anyone else,” Caltabiano wrote to the Talon. “I think that he will excel playing college ball and his future coaches and teammates are lucky to get the chance to be around him and play with him.”

Dem described Ohio as “a brand-new environment.”

“It’s nothing like California. It’s really nice when the sun’s out, but with cloud coverage it gets pretty chilly,” Dem said. “There’s four seasons. Trees change colors. It’s pretty awesome.”

While Dem plans to attend Wooster, he has backup plans as well.

“I’m going to apply to Sonoma State [University] just as a safety thing,” Dem said. “But, I’m going to apply early decision for Wooster. Once I get in, I’ll make my deposit and go.”

Dem grew up in Los Angeles playing many sports such as basketball, soccer, flag football and baseball. He said Agoura is where he “really started to play and live baseball.”

“The competitiveness and the skill [baseball] require is unlike any other sport in the world,” Dem said. “There’s no other sport I’d rather play.”

Dem is a pitcher and a corner infielder — a first and third baseman.

“Baseball is my life. I couldn’t live without it,” Dem said. “If you’re passionate about something keep doing it because things can only get better.”

About the Writer
Amanda Lurey, Club Director

Amanda is a senior at Oak Park High School. She served as news editor for the 2017-18 school year and is currently the 2018-19 Talon club director.

1 Comment

One Response to “Jordan Dem commits to College of Wooster for baseball”

1. Steve Dem on October 29th, 2018 8:13 PM

Amanda:
    Really appreciated your article on Jordan, my grandson.I’ve enjoyed watching him play baseball all these years. I also really appreciated your writing and interviewing skills as well. A very well written article in every which way. Continued good luck to you was well.

Sincerely,

Steve Dem

• Jordan Dem commits to College of Wooster for baseball

Showcase

Thank you firefighters and first-responders

News

Students gather in gym in response to Borderline

News

Woolsey Fire destroys Gindling Hilltop Camp

News

Community grieves double tragedy

Feature

At the heart of it all

Sports

Senior athletes sign to colleges

News

Oak Park mourns the loss of those killed at Borderline Bar & Grill shooting

News

Vintage plane hits center divider on 101 freeway

News

More than Friday Night Lights

Showcase

Police presence near campus increases for student safety