SSA looking to create a feeling of connectedness

Students, faculty take SSA survey

Students and faculty of Oak Park High School took a survey during third period on Oct. 8. The survey was released by the Safe School Ambassadors. SSA is a group of students from all grade levels, as well as counselors, teachers, the school psychologist and a technology district representative who work together to ensure student well-being on campus by addressing bullying and mistreatment.

Jenny Charrett, the counselor in charge of the program, has changed the focus to be on connection, care, safety and finding a way to blend these three things.

“We ran the two separate student and teacher surveys to understand both perspectives of the things each group are seeing and experiencing that are potentially negatively impacting the learning environment,” Charrett said. “We know if students feel disengaged from school and are seeing and/or experiencing negative behaviors such as isolation, substance abuse, mean or harassing behavior online, they are going to be less successful at school and at further risk of issues like depression and unhealthy behaviors.”

The data from the survey will be used to create educational initiatives about issues occurring on campus in order to improve care and safety of students.

“Not only will SSA look at ways to keep kids safe on campus, but they will also focus on increasing student connectedness to peers and staff. More and more research is demonstrating the importance of positive peer-peer and student-trusted adult relationships [and] their ability to decrease anxiety, depression, violence and suicide rates,” Lead Instructional Technology Specialist and 1-1 Chromebook Manager Ellen Chevalier said.

All counselors are also part of a Safe Kids Task Force through the district and the conversation is centered around what is impacting students. Furthermore, the task force establishes guidelines to best support the needs of the school community.

“I have been part of the initial group of teachers, counselors and staff members working to revamp SSA to better meet the needs of OPHS students. Most recently, I worked with Ms. Charrett and Ms. Kokiousis to craft the student survey on connectedness and safety on campus,” Chevalier said.

The new SSA, whose name might be changing soon, is also looking to create a greater sense of community within the Oak Park district staff. This differs from the original intent of the SSA which was to have student ambassadors be the ears and the eyes of the school to help report mistreatment and bullying.

“We may evolve further to see this group take a more positive proactive approach in seeking ways to connect with one another on more positive levels to help bring a deeper sense of community and connectedness among students, but we are also seeking to make sure that is felt with students and staff alike,” Charrett said.

Assistant Principal Natalie Smith has been participating in that change. She has been advocating to create an increased amount of connectedness to help the students’ social-emotional well-being on campus.

“I think SSA has an unbelievable potential to bring awareness to students, parents and staff of the issues that so many are facing is this ever-changing world. This group could really be the change agents we need on campus to bring a voice to the voiceless and hope to the hopeless,” Smith said.

The main purpose of the surveys was to find out what students and teachers are seeing on campus as issues. The counselors and faculty members are in the process of collecting the data to better understand the school environment. Ultimately, the goal is to create a safe space for students and to represent a wide section of the school campus.

“No one should feel they don’t belong at school. We want everyone to at least have some peers or adults they feel connected to at school, and maybe a safe place to come together in that way,” Charrett said.