“Mamma Mia!” debuts as OPHS fall musical

Brooke Yungfleisch/Talon
Students rock the stage with ABBA favorites like “Dancing Queen,” and “Waterloo,” in OPHS production of “Mamma Mia.”

Here we go, again! Musical season has arrived for the Oak Park High School Drama Department as they debut their first performance of the 2019-20 school year with “Mamma Mia!” on Oct. 24, 25 and 26.

The show, directed by Allan Hunt, with music direction by Heidi Cissell and choreography from Casey Denning, featured students from all grades.

Rehearsals began on Saturday, Aug. 24, lasting for two hours a day Monday through Thursday. Beginning Sunday, Oct. 20, also known as “Hell Week,” members of the cast and crew devoted four and a half hours a day to perfecting the play for the upcoming performances.

Junior Isa Rojas, who played the role of Tanya, described her character as having a “spunky and fun attitude,” similar to herself. She commented on the dedication of the cast and crew to giving “Mamma Mia!” the strong performance it deserved.

“We’ve put so many hours of singing and rehearsing into this play,” Rojas said. “It’s been very tiring, but it all paid off tonight in seeing the show come together.”

Senior Preston Green played the role of Sky, Sophie’s, love interest. This was his first-ever OPHS production.

“It’s been exhilarating,” Green said. “This [was] my first production with Oak Park and I’ve never done anything like it before. My older brother Parker and my twin-brother, Bryce, have done so many musicals; now it was my turn to do one and I loved it.”

Students were also able to take part in the production behind the scenes. Senior Chloe Schraeder led the student costume team and set construction. Design was led by juniors Zoe Reisman and Faith Vom Cleff. Junior Ethan Grinberg participated as the Assistant Director.

The concluding performance of the show took place two days after opening night on Saturday, Oct. 26.

Senior Fiona McDonnell, who played the role of Donna, commented on the strong emotions felt by the cast as the exhibition of their hard work came to an end.

“It’s crazy to think that it’s all over now; we all put so much into this show, whether it was memorizing song lyrics or making the set, and to have it be over now is bittersweet,” McDonnell said. “It’s made us so close and [it] really makes me sad to say goodbye to this cast and this play, but I’m so proud of how it all came together in the end.”