New senior retreat attracts 80 plus seniors

Students and faculty express post-retreat opinions

Havi Rubenfeld/Talon

OPHS seniors experience the new senior retreat with bonding through rope course and other activities.

Newly modified senior retreats took place on Jan. 23 and Jan. 30 at Camp Brandeis Bardin in Simi Valley.

The retreats were staffed by counselors from the Wilderness Outdoor Leadership Foundation 501 and supervised by Assistant Principal Natalie Smith and Assistant Vice Principal Jason Meskis. OPHS teacher Kathleen Leggett also chaperoned the first retreat, while counselor Jenny Charrett and science teacher Anastasia Kokiousis chaperoned the second. According to Smith, there were 58-60 students who attended the first retreat and 39 on the second.

“I was a chaperone and driver [for this retreat],” Meskis said. “I thought it was a lot of fun and the kids got to enjoy themselves and bond a little more as a class. The activities were really fun and it was a great day.”

According to the program summary sent by WOLF to the student body and parents, the retreat was designed to “feature team and leadership activities promoting friendship, bonding and celebration of the class.” However, some students felt that the retreat lacked the emotional connection that had become a popular result of the previous senior retreat.

“I didn’t think it was much of a senior retreat, which is probably what a lot of people felt too,” senior Derek Yerich said. “The activities were fun to do with my friends, but it wasn’t something I would want to do again, especially not as a ‘senior retreat.’ I hope they make changes to it, so that next year the seniors can experience something a little more valuable.”

Others, however, enjoyed the day, regardless of its differences from last year’s retreat, and expressed their gratitude towards the faculty for administering the retreat at all.

“I was expecting a little more bonding and less physical activity, but I still had a good time and bonded with new people that I hadn’t really talked to before,” Senior Emily Simenek said. “Even though my expectations were a little different, I still had a good time and am glad we got the chance to have a retreat, at all. I would recommend this retreat to the people next year, but I would want to make it longer than one day for them.”

The retreat consisted of ropes courses, a giant swing, a presentation from the Anti-Defamation League, rock-climbing, a blind-folded maze and concluded with a campfire. The students arrived at the campsite around 9 a.m. and left around 8 p.m., via school shuttle and a rented bus.

“It was a long day, for sure,” Yerich said. “I had a lot of fun doing the ropes courses and the giant swing. My favorite part, though, was playing basketball with all my friends during free-time – even Mr. Meskis played with us, which was great.”

In regards to the same retreat taking place for the class of 2021 seniors, the question is still up in the air. According to Meskis, post-retreat surveys will be sent out via Student Square for the students who took part in the retreat to fill out.

“We are waiting for the students to fill out the surveys and see what their thoughts were about the retreat and if it was valuable to them and if they think it would be good for future classes,” Meskis said.