Mamba Monday starts off spirit week

OPHS spirit week commemorates those lost in the recent helicopter crash

+ASB+advertises+all+over+campus+with+posters+for+Mamba+Monday.+

Atmika Iyer/Talon

ASB advertises all over campus with posters for Mamba Monday.

The third spirit week of the 2019-20 school year began with Mamba Monday as a way for the school to honor those who lost their lives in the recent helicopter crash in Calabasas.

Students came to school on Monday, Feb. 24 in Lakers’ jerseys or dressed in yellow and purple. The specific date of Feb. 24 was chosen to commemorate two of those who died in the crash, Gianna and Kobe Bryant. Gianna Bryant’s jersey number was two, commemorated by the month, and Kobe Bryant’s was 24, commemorated by the day.

On the same day a memorial was held at the Staples Center with a great many speakers talking about those who passed in the crash including Vanessa Bryant and Michael Jordan.

According to Associated Student Body member Johnny Neville, ASB’s goal was to pay homage to those who died.

“We promoted wearing Kobe Bryant jerseys and other Lakers’ gear on the first day back after the crash, and I think this second round was another great way to honor their memories,” Neville said.

According to ASB member Ethan Kastenberg, “Mamba Monday [had] a great ring to it.”

“The ASB class wanted to honor the life of local legend Kobe Bryant, and his daughter Gigi,” Kastenberg said. “The loss of these two and the seven others was felt far and wide, and we noticed that here at Oak Park, we could designate a day to pay tribute to the lives lost.”