Virtual spirit week kicks off

ASB works to raise school spirit

Aidan Scott/Talon

Themes of each day of the week for Virtual Rally Week

Not even a pandemic can stop ASB from spreading school spirit. 

The week after spring break,  the Oak Park High School ASB is kicking of spirit week with “Dress Like You’re Going to School Day.” Tuesday is “Backyard Day,” Wednesday is “Quarantine Crew Day,” Thursday is “Pet Day” and Friday is the traditional “Class Color Day.” 

ASB is asking students to take photos of themselves dressed according to the theme and send the photos to their respective class Instagram account or email them to [email protected]

ASB is also working to bring a competition or game to each day of spirit week as well. Monday’s activity is for students to send a video of what they are doing to kill time during the quarantine. 

Tuesday’s game is sending a video of yourself doing a trick-shot. To get inspiration for your trickshot, check out this link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A2FsgKoGD04

Wednesday’s game is for students to send a video of them stacking up cups as fast as possible. If you want to see an example, check out the following link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VyyscuIq56I.

The final Thursday competition asks students to send their best TikToks to see who at OPHS has the best one.

“We brainstormed together over zoom. We had several virtual meets to figure out how we could provide some fun activities to the students, and work out the logistics. Both the dress-up days and the rally games/activities were created as we usually do, as a class. ASB narrowed down several and voted on them. The dress-up days and games that we have provided are our favorite,” senior class president Ethan Kastenberg wrote to the Talon.

ASB worked over a long period of time together, trying to make the best of the situation.

“In the ASB class, we were all very bummed about the whole situation like everyone else. We discussed that during this time it is crucial to keep our sense of community while social distancing and we believe this will boost morale. We always knew we were going to create something online instead of the rally and after many online meetings, we came up with the virtual rally week idea. We all understand how the students feel and want to bring a little fun to everyone’s quarantine,” senior and ASB president Beck Schlatter said.

While ASB students are going through the same emotional difficulties as all other students, they are utilizing their leadership positions to make students smile.

“The goal of the virtual rally week is to lift the spirits of the students at OPHS,” senior and ASB member Gavin Cornick said. “We know that it does not totally make up for the lost senior rally and spirit week but we hope everyone participates because if they do it, it will be a fun time.”

ASB wanted to do something special for the seniors as well, trying to make up in one way for what they have lost. Seniors are to fill out a google form in order for ASB to deliver digital commitment signs during the week of May 4.

“The idea behind the digital commitment signs was an idea we had right away. As seniors, we love to see what everyone is going to do after high school and we wanted to celebrate all the seniors,” Schlatter said.