OPHS counselor Randy McLelland to retire

Photo courtesy of Randy McLelland
After dedicating over 20 years to Oak Park Unified School District counselor Randy McLelland is retiring and plans to possibly travel as well as take care of his mother.

After working as a counselor in the Oak Park Unified School District for 24 years, Randy McLelland will be retiring at the end of the year. McLelland is the counselor for students with last names To through Z, 504 students and international students.

McLelland spent his first eight years as a counselor in OPUSD split between OPHS and Oak View High School.

“I really enjoyed the diversity of working with students at two very different schools,” McLelland wrote to the Talon. “For the same reason, I have enjoyed working with the 504 and International students during the last two years here at OPHS.”

After working for Bank of America for 16 years and OPUSD for 24 years, McLelland feels that 40 years of full-time work was enough.

“While my health is still good, I felt that it was time for me to start doing things (like traveling) that I’ve forgone all these years because of work,” McLelland wrote. “I’m also planning to take care of my 92-year-old mother so we can keep her at home as long as possible.”

McLelland coached JV softball for 10 years and JV girls basketball for four years, which provided him with many fond memories.

“During the course of my time working for OPUSD, I have met many great people and have had many memorable experiences,” McLelland wrote.

According to Principal Kevin Buchanan McLellandis leaving behind a legacy of care and compassion for all students and he will be missed

“It has been a pleasure working with Mr. McLelland,” Buchanan wrote. “He is a powerful advocate for students.”

According to counselor Jenny Charrett McLelland always supported the staff and students and always recognized the strengths that each person brought to the table. Charrett wrote that if you did not learn something from being in his presence then you were not paying attention.

“I can’t imagine what it will be like without his presence as he has been a constant since I’ve been a counselor — he’s reliable in every sense and seems like he knows everything that has ever been done or decided in OPUSD history,” Charrett wrote.