Girls’ golf looks forward to another triumphant season

Eagles hope to reach high and score low

In the past, the Oak Park High School girls golf team had many successful seasons. For the past four seasons, the team has remained undefeated in the Coastal Canyon League.

“I expect us to do really well and I hope we win league undefeated again,” sophomore Madeleine Kim said.

In preparation for this upcoming season, the girls’ golf team has put in lots of effort, time and hard work at practices, which take place almost every day.

“We practice every Monday-Thursday after school, from 3:30 until 5 or 6,” senior Catherine Cheng said.

With their rigorous practice schedule, the team bonds and becomes a close-knit group of girls. 

“The players love playing for Oak Park High School, they love the game, they love the van rides and they love post-match dinners,” head coach Donn James said.

Every member of the team has high hopes for what this season will bring, as each team member continues to improve their skills each year with the support of their teammates. 

“Out of the four years I have been on the team, it’s safe to say that no season has been the same as any other. As a team, we are continuously growing to better ourselves as golfers, teammates and just people overall,” Cheng said.

The team’s first pre-season tournament took place on Monday and the girls all played well, proving themselves on the golf course. Their next tournament will be this Thursday, Aug. 24. The team hopes for a victorious outcome in this tournament and the others to come as they build upon their success of last season.

“Every year brings new experiences and I hope to be able to see our team reach greater heights. We have very strong players and I can’t wait to see where this season takes us,” Cheng said.

The preseason for girls’ golf began this week and league tournaments will begin shortly after. View the girls’ golf schedule to see all future tournaments.