Cheer season preview

A sneak peak into the upcoming cheer season
Ella Broms/Talon

With yet another exciting school year coming to fruition, a new cheer season kicked off with the football team’s first home game on Friday, Aug. 12. Senior and admin captain, Amber Gilman, expresses her excitement for the upcoming season. 

“I am looking forward to a season full of productivity, progress and fun,” Gilman said. 

While football is the main sport cheerleaders perform at, the Oak Park High School cheerleaders also participate in other events such as girls flag football, the showdown on Oct. 6, the mini cheer clinic day on Oct. 14 and at junior varsity and varsity sports games. A favorite event among the team is supporting Breast Cancer Awareness month. 

“October is Breast Cancer Awareness where we are going all out for the community,” senior Giah Milo said. 

Although different aspects will determine whether or not a cheer season will be successful, there are a few keys to success. 

“A lot of hard work, effort and team bonding,” Milo said. “Our coaches do a great job in making sure we achieve all of these aspects.” 

It will be the second year both cheer coaches will be coaching at OPHS. Coach Mara has been the coach for the team from 2004-2008 and during that time, Coach Nicola was being coached by Coach Mara.