September Athletes of the Week

Recapping the OPHS athletes of September

Week of Sept. 4

Johnny Fulmer, Varsity Football

“Johnny went 31/55 for 358 yards and 4 touchdowns. He got hurt in the first series of the game and gutted out a gritty performance.  358 yards passing is 4th most in school history and the 55 attempts is 2nd most,” coach Casey Webb said. “He has had a wonderful attitude every day and is a pleasure to be around.” 

Lily Huynh, Varsity Girls’ Golf

“Lily is a 2-year senior captain looking to continue her play and education at Portland State, Western Washington or Point Loma,” coach Donn James said. “She has been 1st Team All-League for 3 years and 1st Team All-County the last 2 years. Currently 4 under-par for the season with -1, 34 at Simi Hills and -3, 31 at Los Robles.”

Nikko Songco, Varsity Boys’ Beach Volleyball 

“On Aug. 19th, Nikko and his partner (Brody Gallagher) competed in our beach league’s Preseason Pairs Tournament. Out of 24 individual teams, Nikko and Brody went undefeated all day and won the championship,” coach Eric Varney said. 

Week of Sept. 11

Olivia Papanicolaou, Varsity Cheer

“We are nominating Olivia because she is a senior and she is really shining this year. Olivia is a very strong backspot and is never afraid to try a new skill with her group,” coach Mara Smialek said. “She is always on point on the track as she performs all the cheers and dances.”  

Hunter Glass, Varsity Water Polo

“In our first Oak Park Water Polo game in school history Hunter not only scored the first goal in school history, he scored six total in our game against Royal,” coach Ricky Mulcahey said. “He showed great leadership in the pool helping his teammates on both offense and defensive earning five steals in the game. Even though we didn’t win, Hunter stayed positive and kept his and his teammates chins up.” 

Week of Sept. 18

Holden Heidt, Varsity Football

“Holden led a 4th quarter comeback for the Eagles to beat Brentwood,” Casey said. 

Nathalia Valencia, Varsity Dance

“Nathalia is always working hard and is a strong team captain. She was injured last friday and kept a positive attitude all throughout,” coach Destiny Ridge said. “She continued to cheer for her team even when she was hurt.” 

Week of Sept. 25

Grant Jones and Ethan Marley, Boys’ Cross Country 

“Grant finished third in his huge varsity race on Saturday with the team best 15:07 for 3 miles. Ethan won the sophomore race in a time of 15:57,” coach Steve White said. 

Kat Modrzejewski and Samy Senthilnathan, Girls’ Cross Country

“Kat won the Varsity with a time of 17:42. Samy ran a huge PR of 19:47 and chased down over 40 runners to help her team finish in the top 5,” White said.