veritas exquirere

veritas exquirere

veritas exquirere

October Athletes of the Week

Recognizing the OPHS athletes of October

Week of Oct. 2

Makayla Hivner, JV Cheer

“Makayla is one of the JV captains and she is always on top of her game. She knows exactly what cheers to call and when to call them. She picks up choreography quickly and slays her routines. She’s humble, kind and always willing to help her teammates,” coach Mara Smialek said.

Nina Xu, Varsity Girls’ Golf

“Freshman Nina Xu has been a nice addition to the roster this year. In the past week she has been under par in two league matches and in the recent D1 tournament, the Lady Mustang Invitational at California CC, she finished T2 of 120 women with a beautiful -3, 69 to lead the team to 5th place out of 20 teams,” coach Donn James said.

Week of Oct. 9

Emma Alikian, Varsity Girls’ Flag Football

“Emma is the captain and heart of our team.  She is a leader that keeps everyone engaged.  She has scored 12 TDs in 8 games, 3 of which were interceptions for touchdowns. Emma also leads the team in receptions,” athletic director Kathryn Klamecki said.

Brody Gallagher, Boys’ Beach Volleyball

“Brody is our first junior in school history to play as a 1’s Pair, and this past weekend.   We won the League Championship thanks to his efforts,” coach Eric Varney said.

Week of Oct. 16

Joanna Hong, Varsity Girls’ Golf

“Joanna has a season-low 3 under par round plus another under par round this year and three even par rounds, including our final two league matches last week. She averaged 35.57 in the league this year,” coach Donn James said. 

Trey Williams, Varsity Boys’ Water Polo

“Trey had 9 goals, 4 steals, 2 assists, 2 blocks in our game against Royal,” coach Ricky Mulcahey said.

Taylor Mansmann, Varsity Girls’ Volleyball (libero)

“Taylor is a libero on the varsity team.  She had 29 digs in 5 set loss vs Camarillo, 25 digs and 7 aces in 5 set win against Moorpark, and 13 digs vs Simi Valley,” coach Georgia Mitchell said.

Savannah Mitchell, Varsity Girls’ Volleyball (setter)

“Savannah is a setter on the varsity team.  She had 30 assists, 15 digs and 3 aces in 5 set loss vs Camarillo, 18 assists and 19 digs in 5 set win against Moorpark 13 assists and 16 digs vs Simi,” Mitchell said.

Week of Oct. 23

Jaden Mosley, Varsity Football

“Jaden has been an anchor all year on the defensive line. He had a sack and 10 tackles versus Camarillo,” coach Casey Webb said.

Gillian Flynn, Dance

“Gillian is always positive and uplifting in/out of practice. She’s been a consistent athlete since the day I met her,” coach Destiny Ridge said.