Athletes of the semester

Recognizing outstanding athletes at OPHS

After a semester of consistency and hard work, the athletic department chose four athletes to recognize for their dedication and perseverance. Ema Alikian, Lily Huynh, Brodie Gallagher and Jaden Mosley all had exceptional semesters and were chosen based on their performance, both in their sport and in the classroom. 

In the first year that Oak Park High School introduced the girls flag football program, captain Ema Alikian led the team to success. She has enjoyed the sport and competitiveness ever since she was young. 

“I grew up in a football family and both my older brothers played football for OPHS. I was always a little jealous that they got the experience so I was ecstatic when flag was made an official sport,” senior Ema Alikian said. “I had so much fun learning and strategizing with friends and my dad. It could not have been a better senior year experience.” 

On and off the field, Alikian communicates with players on the team to ensure success during each match. 

“The hardest part of flag football is when the pieces of the team just aren’t working together,” Alikian said. “The only way to push through these moments is to keep faith in the team, stay calm and positive with teammates and communicate clearly and concisely when there is a break.” 

Varsity football captain, Jaden Mosley, had a great last season playing football after his four consistent years of dedication. 

“The game has helped me mature and has taught me many things in life,” Mosley said.  “I became more confident in myself and realized my hard work will pay off. I couldn’t have achieved what I have without my coaches and the people around me.” 

Varsity golf captain, Lily Huynh, had an astounding season. Huynh has played golf for over six years and has had an amazing time playing on the team, making new friends and getting to test herself in both physical and mental aspects.

“Golf has led me to make a lot great relationships. I think I’ve made many friends that have pushed me to become a better athlete and competitor,” Huynh said.  “The hardest part of golf is the mental aspect. There’s a lot of days where I don’t feel like practicing but I remind myself that I would not have gotten to where I am today without the perseverance.” 

Huynh signed and committed to play D1 golf at St. John’s University. 

Varsity beach volleyball player, Brodie Gallagher, also had an exceptional season and has worked hard to get where he is. Gallagher has played beach volleyball for over three years and has enjoyed his time on the team. 

“This sport definitely makes me happy but there is a lot of negatives too,” Gallagher said. “But it makes me happy because it definitely keeps you in shape and the fact you can play with one of your best friends makes it all the more fun.”

Playing beach volleyball can be drastically different from indoor volleyball for a variety of different reasons. 

“First of all, the climate of beach volleyball is very tiring from running and jumping on the sand to the heat that you stand at the door during the game in practices,” Gallagher said. “And second, being mentally strong.”