Girls basketball dominates at CIF finals

Taking home the victory 71-41
Lindsay Gould
The girls basketball team celebrates their D3AA championship in the locker room, defeating Cerritos High School 71-41. (Photo contributed by Lindsay Gould)

A year of hard work and training culminated in a spectacular victory for girls basketball against Cerritos on Feb. 24. The girls are now back-to-back CIF champions.

Senior captain Lindsay Gould was immensely proud of her team’s victory. 

“It feels incredible. It’s really special to win one, but to win two back-to-back is something else,” she said.

The beginning of the year was marked by considerable effort and time invested by the players in their preparation.

“The beginning of the season is always tough when you’re putting in the work down on the track and having to be in the gym every day. It is very rewarding though,” junior Ella Broms said.

Many hours were spent perfecting their skills, building teamwork and strategizing, and it all paid off in the finals. The girls dominated the game, securing a convincing victory.

“Pre-season was pretty tough. Coach Will scheduled some pretty hard games,” Gould said. “We started the season 1-7 and people just look at the numbers, but we were playing some of the best teams in the state and in the country.”

The team dynamic had a significant impact on the team and their win.

“I think we have a very close-knit dynamic. Even though there are captains there are no real levels, we all work together,” Broms said.

Not only has the team secured CIF, but the girls also earned the opportunity of having all of their state playoff games on their home court.

“We get to have four games in a row at home then the final game in Sacramento,” Gould said. “I’m really looking forward to having some of my last games of high school basketball at home.”

Come support girls basketball at the CIF State Semifinals on Saturday, March 2, against Harvard Westlake.