Girls varsity basketball wins state playoffs

The girls made an exciting comeback in the second half

Oak Park High School’s girl’s basketball team defeats Bonita Vista in the CIF state playoffs on Feb. 27.

The Eagles starts the game strong, making passes and sinking shot after shot. It remained a tight game, neither team up for too long. By the end of the first half, Bonita Vista took the lead by two points, making the score 25-27.

“We were playing scared, causing the score to be close for the first half, but once the second half started we started to get more comfortable,” sophomore captain Delaney White said.

The girls entered the second half with renewed energy, slowly pulling ahead. The girls’ score stayed above Bonita most of the game, as they were up by 10-15 points for a while. 

Oak Park and Bonita Vista fight for a rebound after a missed shot

“We were playing good defense and creating turnovers and turned those turnovers into steals,” White said.

Thanks to shots made by the Eagles, the team pushed their lead to a 10-point difference. With only three minutes left, the score was 55-40.

Coach Will Burr gives the girls tips and a pep talk

“They play a fast game and like to speed the other team up,” senior captain Lindsay Gould said. “At half, we really focused on regaining our composure and remembering our game: defense, effort, and execution.”

Free throw made by Delaney White

After consecutive free throws in the last seconds of the fourth quarter, the game finally ended with 65-54 Eagles.

Free throw made by Helana Koubek

After a long season with many practices and games, the team ranked thirty-seventh overall in California.

Maya Deshautelle and Delaney White guarding on defense